Dieurmerci Mbokani, a striker for the Democratic Republic of Congo has announced his retirement from the national team.
This follows news that the striker who was on-loan at English Premier League club Norwich from Ukranian side Dynamo Kiev would face possible sanctions from his country because he skipped two African Nations cup qualifiers last month after being caught up in the Brussels Aiport bombings.
Norwich striker Dieumerci Mbokani quits international football https://t.co/CBxLIEmrJA— fifty (@kimhimchin) April 5, 2016
Mbokani did not travel for the home and away matches against Angola after escaping unhurt from the Zaventem Airport when suicide bombers destroyed its departure hall and killed 16 people on March 22.
The striker was outside the departure hall when the bombs went off and fled the scene unhurt.
He later told reporters that his wife had saved his life by insisting he wait for a friend to join him before entering the airport building, while he had wanted to go straight to the check-in counters.
His international team mate Cedric Bakambu, who plays for Spanish club Villarreal, was booked on the same plane, but arrived in Kinshasa the next day after taking an alternate flight.
Congolese Football Federation president Constant Omari, who is also a FIFA executive committee member, told a French radio station that Mbokani faces a possible sanction because he did not arrive for the games.
The former TP Mazembe striker cited multiple problems, including being unfairly treated – a reason he says, for his withdrawal from the national team.