The proposed ‘City of Culture,’ project launched in 2002 in Tunisia that stalled due to the 2011 revolution, has officially been relaunched with a 50 million Euro backing.
Situated in the capital, Tunis, and covering some 52 hectares; the project had been abandoned after the overthrow of Ben Ali’s regime and left only to erosion that ate away the flagship foundation.
Also, a dispute with a Czech company in charge of a large part of the project had permanently blocked the continuation of the project.
The City of Culture will be ready in a year and a half.
Prime Minister Habib Essid and Culture Minister Sonia M’barek relaunched the project after a local company won the tender to complete it.
“We have tried, whenever possible, to speed up this giant project and we hope, as we have promised the developer, the operation will start in 18 months, either by the end of 2017,” Essid said.
Tunisia: “City of Culture to Be Ready in 18 Months” (Sonia M'barek): [Tunis Afrique Presse] Tunis, -“The City … https://t.co/McQOI7damP— infoLibya (@info_libya) March 11, 2016
Culture minister, Sonia M’barek said the relevant tender had been awarded to a Tunisian promoter and therefore, the last phase of the work will resume in two months.
“The City of Culture will be ready in a year and a half,” she said.
The country has been rocked by insurgent groups especially, the campaign by the Islamic State along its borders with Libya.
There is growing security turmoil in Libya, where two rival governments and armed factions vie for control, has allowed Islamic State to thrive in the midst of the chaos.