Two people of the same family have tested positive for the Ebola virus in N’zérékoré Prefecture, Guinea, making it the first two cases reported in the country since the epidemic was declared over on December 29.
BREAKING: Guinea government confirms 2 new Ebola cases, months after country declared free of the virus.— The Associated Press (@AP) March 17, 2016
This was announced on Thursday by the Guinean government and confirmed by Guinea’s National Coordination of the Fight Against Ebola hours after the World Health Organisation had declared Sierra Leone’s latest outbreak was over.
Vaccines had been taken to the area where the new cases were found in Guinea, Fode Tass Sylla, spokesman for the National Coordination of the Fight Against Ebola said.
The World Health Organisation has also deployed epidemiologists and a vaccination team to support the Ebola response, it said via its Twitter account.
WHO (@WHO) March 17, 2016