Egyptian Interior Minister on Monday rejected accusations that the country’s security forces were involved in the killing of an Italian student in Cairo.
“I can only say one thing about this — no, this did not happen. And we have insisted to many officials at the time and we insist now that he was not arrested in any sort of way,” Egypt’s Interior Minister, Magdy Abdel Ghaffar, said.
The body of Giulio Regeni, a 28-year-old graduate student at Britain’s Cambridge University, was found on Wednesday.
I can only say one thing about this, this did not happen.
He was found a week after he disappeared with clear signs of torture, a prosecutor said.
There are claims that the police would have had a hand in his death.
The incident has tensed ties between the two countries.
Regeni disappeared on the fifth anniversary of the uprising against former President Hosni Mubarak.
He had been researching independent trade unions in Egypt and has written critical articles on President Abdel Fattah al- Sisi’s government.