Rwanda
Rwandan Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Louise Mushikiwabo, has rejected allegations that her country was involved in the military training of Burundian refugees to overthrow the Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza.
The allegations were made public on Thursday through a leaked United Nations report.
“These unfounded allegations stem from the fact that Rwanda hosts refugees considered hostile to the government in Bujumbura,” said Mushikiwabo in an email sent to Senegal-based news agency, PANA.
According to the leaked document, a U.N. panel of experts spoke to 18 Burundian combatants who said they had been recruited at the Mahama refugee camp in eastern Rwanda in May and June 2015 and that their numbers total four companies of 100 recruits each.
Mushikiwabo said the crisis in Burundi was the work of the country itself and that people should consider that rather than looking for “scapegoats”.
Burundi has repeatedly accused Rwanda of backing rebels’ intent of overthrowing the government in Bujumbura, allegations Rwanda denies.
01:29
United Nations wants 'security guarantees' to monitor DR Congo ceasefire
00:34
Appeal trial of accused Franco-Rwandan genocidaire opens in Paris
01:19
Iran orders U.S. nuclear talks amid threats and regional fears
01:15
South Africa expels top Israeli diplomat over social media posts
01:57
DR Congo city residents forced to adapt during year of M23 rule
01:11
Trump demands 'immediate negotiations' to acquire Greenland, vows not to use force