The male basketball teams from Angola, Tunisia and Senegal together with the Nigerian and Cameroonian women teams have made it to the 2016 Olympics qualifying tournament.
The games, which will take place from July 4 through 10 will be held in Philippines, Serbia and Italy.
On July 5 in Serbia, the Angolan men’s national basketball team, ranked 15th worldwide, will play with Puerto Rico (16th worldwide) both in Group A of the qualifying tournament for the Rio Olympics. The following day, Angola will face the host team, Serbia (6th worldwide).
In group B, North African country Tunisia (33rd worldwide) will play against Italy (17th worldwide), the host team. Tunisia will also play against Croatia (14th worldwide).
In the Philippines, the Senegalese men’s team in position 39 according to the world governing body for basketball will play against Canada (7th worldwide) and also against Turkey (10th worldwide).
Competition schedule of the #FIBAOQT in Belgrade, Turin and ManilaFIBA (@FIBA) January 26, 2016
In the women’s teams are Nigeria and Cameroon. The Cameroon ladies will challenge Turkey and Argentina while Nigeria will play against Belarus and South Korea. The womens tournament will take place in France.
FIBA (@FIBA) January 26, 2016
The group winners and runners-up will advance to the semi-finals. Only the winner of the tournament will qualify for the Olympic Games.
2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQTs)
OQT Belgrade (Serbia)
- Group A: 1. Serbia; 2. Angola; 3. Puerto Rico
- Group B: 1. Japan; 2. Czech Republic; 3. Latvia.
OQT Manila (Philippines)
- Group A: 1. Turkey; 2. Senegal; 3. Canada
- Group B: 1. France; 2. New Zealand; 3. Philippines.
OQT Turin (Italy)
- Group A: 1. Greece; 2. Mexico; 3. Iran
- Group B: 1. Tunisia; 2. Croatia; 3. Italy.
2016 FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament (WOQT)
- Group A: 1. Cuba; 2. New Zealand; 3. France
- Group B: 1. Cameroon; 2. Turkey; 3. Argentina
- Group C: 1. Belarus; 2. Korea; 3. Nigeria
- Group D: 1. Venezuela; 2. Spain; 3. China