Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live

News

news

"Job is not over" on Ebola after Sierra Leone death - WHO

"Job is not over" on Ebola after Sierra Leone death - WHO

Sierra Leone

The World Health Organization,WHO, says the new Ebola case in Sierra Leone is an indication that the ‘job is not over” on Ebola.

“These countries are facing a risk of new cases, the job is not over”, the World Health Organization warned.

The WHO had said more flares up were expected a day after declaring Liberia Ebola free for the third time, which also signified an end to the epidermic in West Africa.

These countries are facing a risk of new cases, the job is not over

“We have information about a woman who died from Ebola virus, so it is a confirmed case of the disease in Sierra Leone, and this really reinforces the message that these countries are facing a risk of new cases coming, so the job is not over, flare-ups are possible, and we have to be ready to respond to them.” said Tarek Jasarevic, spokesman for the WHO

The organisation said all known chains of transmissions had been stopped but a “strong surveillance and response system was critical in the coming months.

“There are teams on the ground from the Ministry of Health, supported by international partners, and right now there is work being done to see, to trace contacts obviously, to see who could have been exposed, and to make sure that all necessary measures are being done to stop this flare-up as soon as possible.” Jasarevic added.

Reuters is reporting that the latest victim is a 22- year old female student who sought treatment at a health facility on January 8, but was discharged. Dozens may have been exposed to the new Ebola case.

View more