Welcome to Africanews

Please select your experience

Watch Live



Nigeria: Kidnapped Chibok girls parents meet Pres. Buhari

Nigeria: Kidnapped Chibok girls parents meet Pres. Buhari


Parents of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls, met with President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, hoping for some good news on their daughters’ fate.

The parents, along with members of the Bring Back Our Girls protest group, marched to the presidential villa in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja seeking an audience with President Buhari.

The convener, after some hours of meeting with the president told reporters the Nigerian president’s words were not as positive as they had hoped.

“What Mr. president essentially said is that his statement during the media chat that they do not have credible intelligence, that he was being truthful in the way that he knows how to be and that he was not prepared to tell any lies, that they do not have the kind of reliable intelligence that would enable them rescue the girls as immediately as we are demanding,” said Oby Ezekwesili.

The father of one of the abducted girls said he was hopeful of a rescue mission to bring the girls back.

“I was expecting that he would say something of which will make me to be doubting, but he said something very reasonable that as a military man he was taught not to tell lies and that he was taught not to talk much. I really picked something here. I think something is going to be done,” said Enoch Mark.

President Buhari last month said his government was prepared to negotiate with Boko Haram to free the girls, if credible leaders from the Islamist group could be identified.

Bring Back Our Girls protest group convener went on to say the president reiterated that he is very much concern and committed to bringing back the girls.

“He used the specific phrase that he sleeps and wakes up thinking about the rescue of our Chibok girls. Where do we go from here? Where we go from here is to continue to demand. We will keep demanding as a movement for the action that is necessary to rescue our Chibok girls,” she added.

Boko Haram seized the girls from their dormitories in the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014, sparking international outrage.

Boko Haram militants raided the girls’ secondary school while the students were taking exams. They loaded around 270 of them onto trucks, aged from 13 to over 20.More than 50 eventually escaped but at least 200 remain in captivity.