Not tomorrow, not January 16. It is under those terms that Burundi’s Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs confirmed on Tuesday, the non-participation of his country in peace negotiations held in Uganda and now heading to Tanzania under the mediation of President Yoweri Museveni.
Joseph Bangurambona told Reuters that no consensus has been reached about the date, adding that the Burundian government could not argue with people that ‘perpetrate’ violence.
And on its part, the opposition said the meeting scheduled this Wednesday would not take place.
Joseph Bangurambona told Reuters that no consensus has been reached about the date.
The talks planned to be held in neighbouring Tanzania began in December last year, and their resumption was a new attempt by the East African Community and the African Union to end the political crisis in Burundi.
The crisis has lasted 8 months leaving hundreds dead and displacing thousands.